January 11, 2013

Tithing Again

Q.

The church does not teach that you should pay on gross income. Using the logic that I'm getting benefit from my tax dollars and I pay $300,000 a year in taxes, then everyone should pay $30,000 in tithing for the same benefit since that's what it costs me in taxes. A ridiculous argument. In countries that have up to an 80% tax rate if you pay on gross, that 50% of your take home pay. A bit different
for the 50% of american's that pay NO tax at all, yet use all the benefits the rest of pay - so they should increase their tithing to pay for roads, military, etc., what a silly statement and not in line at all with the official church position.

Second comment made when first comment didn't appear in comments section _
great - moderate comments isn't having comments at all.


A.


First let me state in answer to your second comment that I moderate comments, that if you read the bit at the side you would have seen why I don't put up comments. People have given me their email addresses at times for private discussions on subjects also.

I also pay 85% of my pay. I did state, "In most cases the gross income is the thing to base your tithing on." And I did talk about "a normal wage earner."

As to the fairness of taxes (which is what you are really talking about) that is something you have to take up with your government.

As you feel some difficulties in paying 10% you can discuss this with your bishop. That was on oversight on my part not mentioning that issue. Thanks for the comment. I've corrected that.

As to the official church position; it has been that way for decades where I am. If you have found a more flexible type of leader then I'm glad for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home