December 11, 2012

Washing of Feet

Q.

What can you tell me about the ordinance of washing apostle's feet? Do they continue observing this in the temple?


A.

I'm informed that this ordinance is still done in the temple, by the apostles.

All ordinances are for understanding a hidden principle (John 13:7). And the reason they are hidden is so as not to confuse those not prepared to understand. So it would be unfair for me to answer the question in its entirety. However I can give you clues.

Concerning Christ the Scriptures tell us _

"After that he poured water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which he was girded." John 13:5

So Jesus Christ is demonstrating that this is an important principle that is being hidden, for even he is doing it.

"Then he came to Simon Peter: and Peter said to him, Lord, do you wash my feet? Jesus answered and said to him, What I do you don't know now; but you shall know later. Peter said to him, You shall never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I don't wash you, you have no part with me." John 13:6-8

Jesus has laid down the importance of understanding and obeying the principle.

"Simon Peter said to him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus said to him, He that is washed doesn't need to wash anything except to wash his feet..." John 13:9-10

From this we find that Jesus is saying that this washing of feet is a principle which goes on beyond just being sinless. It is an additional washing.

We are further told _

"And shake off the dust of your feet against those who don't recieve you, not in their presence, in case you provoke them, but in secret; and wash your feet, as a testimony against them in the day of judgment." D&C 60:15

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publishes peace; that brings good tidings of good, that publishes salvation; that says to Zion, Your God reigns!" Isaiah 52:7

So this feet thing is involved with missionary work and service to mankind. I often hear people say that a particular person was a good person. What they usually mean is that they didn't rob a bank or kill someone. That just means they weren't a bad person, not that they were a good person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home