December 03, 2012

Quotes of the Holy Ghost in Scripture

Q.

Are there any scriptures e.g. verses, chapters, sections etc. whose authorship is attributable to the Holy Ghost? e.g. I Nephi 11 has been thought to be a session between Nephi and "the Spirit of the Lord." However, at least one BYU prof says "No, that's not the HG." So what are we to believe as regard to the HG as a "thus sayeth the HG author?"


A.

The message of Heavenly Father is to testify of the Son. We see this when Joseph Smith was in the grove. Also we note this at the baptism of Jesus Christ when the Father spoke from heaven.

The main thrust of Jesus Christ's message was to honor Heavenly Father. In fact the Jews went off at him when he appeared to be testifying of himself.

The message of the Holy Ghost is to testify of the Father and the Son. He has no mission to preach himself. Consequently we have no information in regard the plan of salvation for the Holy Ghost.

However it is the Holy Ghost that gives most directions of things to say within the Scriptures. He is with us as we read or write them. I can tell you of when I was in the army for some years. I sometimes would have up to a dozen soldiers around me firing questions. What the Holy Ghost would do as one of these questions came is that he gave me a few words that I should say, and said that I should say them. I had no idea what was to come next. If he let me down and gave me no more I would come out looking stupid. As I began to say the words he would immediately flood it into my mind what to say. It was a faith learning time.

These original words came directly from the Holy Ghost. The soldiers marvelled that I always had these answers, instantly, that matched the question. Many times these contained parables that fitted perfectly.

The Holy Ghost has given me the words to say sometimes on my mission when at a door. And in teaching my children. He gives advice on how to handle problems children have, and countless other things.

When I read certain scriptures I can feel the Holy Ghost in there as I read. It is true that he doesn't announce himself as the author at these times. But you will notice sometimes the amazing similarity in what he preaches to various spiritual people throughout the ages.

The Scriptures also inform us that the Holy Ghost delivers prophecy.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:20-21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home